Saturday, April 16, 2011

Fanfiction

I read and write fanfiction. It's something I'm not very proud of, and that I don't tend to advertise too much. I mean, if you go on FFnet, half of what's written is mostly an excuse to make some characters have sex together, and another quarter is so badly written, it'd make you lose some brain cells. However, in the quarter left, while I admit that there's a LOT of clichéd stories, it's impossible not to find a few gems.

Anyway, I came to learn about Fanfiction in 2007, after ending Gundam Seed Destiny and being terribly disappointed with the ASUCAGA(Athrun/Cagalli) ending. I started reading fanfic accidentally, then began writing a few of my own after being encouraged by a fellow ASUCAGA fan. I've written about 5 ASUCAGA stories, one still in progress, two I've never published online, and about 10 Smallville stories.

I tend to read/write fanfics when I'm not satisfied with the media canon. I think Fanfiction is a great way to give us the 'what-if' scenarios the media would never explore and to give us the happy ending denied to us. It's also a great way for aspiring writers to get feedback on their writing. And to meet people who like the same stuff you do :)

What's a pity though, is when other fanfic writers think they know better about certain characters and start saying stuff like "OMG, the character would never do that. Why is he so OOC? Stop writing for my fandom. You're not a true fan."

Hello, it's a fictional character. Everyone's got his own views on him. I don't think it's possible to fully predict the reactions of a fictional character who's already been established in a specific media by SOMEONE ELSE, unless you're that someone else. It therefore really pisses me off when people act as if they know better. Also, my motto on fanfiction is that you don't have to read it if you don't like it. Why suffer through something you don't like to then bitch about it later on?

Aaah, I really don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment