Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I'm so sorry but I love you

One of my first posts on this blog, back in 2007, was about the Korean band Dear Cloud. I wasn't really into Korean music at that time. I learned about that particular band because of their music video which featured Kim Jae Wook, a hot Korean actor from an awesome Korean drama I had just watched.

Anyway, I'm talking about this because I just realised that it took me four years to really get into K-pop. Not just songs from Kdramas or songs with hot Korean actors in their MVs. But what's really considered as mainstream K-pop...

So... I guess you're wondering how I finally got into K-pop? Well, it all started thanks to my co-worker, who literally played Wedding Dress by Taeyang on repeat one day...yes, the whole day, when we were at work. I guess I have to thank God it was an awesome song and not something like... I dunno... a trance or heavy metal song.

Anyway, Wedding Dress got stuck in my head (thanks to that part from Wagner's Bridal Chorus) and I had to check the video out when I got back home because my co-worker had claimed that the video was awesome. I was kinda skeptical because I had previously seen some Korean MVs which hadn't left me really impressed. Bien au contraire. (See: Share The One World by DBSK and Ring Ding Dong by SHINee to really get what I mean)

However, he was right about the video being awesome. See for yourself:




After watching the video, my first thought was that Taeyang's like a Korean Usher or a Korean son of Michael Jackson. He sings amazingly well but I was mostly impressed by his moves. That man's got SWAG.

Now, I don't know about you but I've got a real problem with Youtube. I always go there for a video and I end up spending HOURS watching related videos. That's what happened when I watched Wedding Dress. By the end of my Youtube trip, I knew about Taeyang being from BIG BANG... Leading me to learn about G-dragon, T.O.P, Daesung, the maknae Seungri, YG Entertainment and 2NE1. I saw numerous videos of Big Bang, from their MVs to different shows they were on and... well it was impossible not to fall for them their music.


BIG BANG: Seungri, Taeyang, TOP, G-Dragon and Daesung (from left to right)

Yes, Big Bang's a Korean boysband. They don't play instruments... I can't even understand what they're saying. But I love them.

A few reasons why:
  1. TOP. That man is gorgeous. His intense stare could impregnate you or turn you gay if you're a guy. LOL. J/K. Truthfully, he's an incredible rapper. He's got an awesome deep voice. His voice isn't typical. He brings something special to their songs.
  2. G-Dragon. That man is beyond charismatic. No wonder he's the leader. But what's more impressive is that he's only one year older than I am... yet he's the writer/composer of most of their songs. That's kinda inspiring. He also sings, raps and dances incredibly well. He's gifted and it shows in his compositions.
  3. The bromance between the members. They seem to genuinely care for each other.
  4. Their lyrics are quite meaningful. I particularly love Love Song. That song's so deep... Plus it's got a U2 feel to it.
  5. Their MVs/live performances aren't the typical 'let's show our abs/let's act cute/let's be sexy' stuff I've come to expect from other Korean bands.
  6. They're all individually talented. They've all released solo songs. And I've been totally blown away by their solo awesomeness. Daesung's voice is particularly hmmm... perfect? Seungri might be the youngest but he's got SO much talent. His songs are all terribly catchy. And I've already talked about Taeyang.

I've got many more reasons, but I don't want to seem too shallow and fangirlish with this post (I know it's probably too late for that >_<). So I'll end this post here. Just check them out - I've added the links to my fav songs below - if you wanna expand your musical horizons. They're really awesome.

Song suggestions:

No comments:

Post a Comment