Monday, November 14, 2011

The night I met Jason Lancaster of Go Radio


If you've been on my blog before, you must be aware of my love for Go Radio. I've been a fan ever since I heard their first demo. I added them on MySpace in 2008, made my first ever fanart for them, fangirled when they thrice commented on my MySpace. I was the 4th person to join their fansite when it finally opened, and even created a website about them for a university project.

So, yeah, when I learned about Go Radio coming to Australia in October, I had to get myself a ticket for that music festival (even though it was really, really expensive). Thankfully, they weren't the only bands I liked, playing that night... Yellowcard (:'D), All Time Low, Panic! At The Disco, and a few other well known bands were also there...

The venue was really small, packed and loud. I think we were the only non-Australians in the public. To tell the truth, I don't generally enjoy such overly crowded environments. I don't even enjoy going out to clubs... I'm more of a stay-in person but yeah, it was my only chance of seeing them live.

Anyway, the night didn't start that well. I got there late and missed GR's signing session. I had no idea they were even going to have one. I was VERY disappointed but I was still gonna see them play my favourite songs live... So, I got over my disappointment and tried to enjoy the night.

There were two stages, with two bands playing simultaneously... I got bumped into by the lead singer of I don't even know what band was playing, when he jumped into the crowd. First celebrity encounter, as my brother, who I went to the festival with, called it... I was kinda annoyed, but I guess that fans of that band would have died to be in my situation?

Anyway, I watched a few bands I didn't even know play... Time was flying really slowly when I suddenly noticed that the dashing Alex (from Go Radio) was standing in the crowd, a few metres from me. I couldn't believe my eyes and started doubting whether it was really him. I asked my brother if he could maybe confirm my doubts, but he didn't even know who I was talking about. So, I spent about five minutes just staring at the guy. Seriously.

Then, I decided to just ask him. I gave him a gentle tap on the back and asked him if he was Alex from Go Radio. When he nodded, I asked for a picture with him. He was kind enough to accept. And that's how I got my first picture of the night, which you can see below.


Alex and ME!

Then, later I got to see Steven (Go Radio) in the crowd. He's so, SO fine in person. But unfortunately, I had no one to take a picture for me (my brother was watching the band from the other stage), so yeah, I didn't get to take any picture with him. I also saw Ryan Key (Yellowcard) and Alex Gaskarth (All Time Low) a few seconds later... They both seemed really close. Loved their bromance that night... but yeah, no pictures with them either...

Finally, it was Go Radio's turn to be on stage. I was just in front of the stage. It was totally awesome. I was so close to them. Jason even smiled at me. OMG. I'm still a bit awed, just thinking of it. Yes, I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a total fangirl for Go Radio.

A few pictures:

Their set list for the night! yes, they even played Rolling in The Deep by Adele. It was awesome.

Jason Lancaster!

Jason Lancaster

Matt Burns and Steven in the background (that's unfortunately my only pic of Steven)

Alex and Jason (this pic should have been rotated, sorry)

Another pic of Matt

Jason, singing....
I can't even describe how awesome it was to be in that crowd. GR's so passionate, and the public was so into them. It was SO magical to finally be able to be part of that public, to cheer for them and to enjoy their energy, to sing along to their songs. Redemption In The Verse was one of their best songs, that night. By the end of the song, everyone was singing along to the 'la di la da'. It was SO very awesome.

Anyway, then, I got to see All Time Low, Yellowcard, Hellogoodbye, Story Of The Year, etc... Went to the ATL and YC signing sessions... More pictures:

Alex Gaskarth singing Jasey Rae!

My card signed by Yellowcard! lol

My bag signed by All Time Low


I should have brought a CD or a poster, but I hadn't realised I'd have the opportunity to make them sign something. Anyway, I still got to speak to the members of YC (I LOVE RYAN KEY, and just telling him thank you for signing my card and having him telling me thank you for coming was really AWESOME) and got hi-fived by Jack (All Time Low)... It was quite something. Hm, yeah, I don't have any pics of Yellowcard on stage, because I was filming them.

By the end, we went outside, with hopes to see Ryan Key and ask for a picture with him... But, instead of seeing Ryan Key, we saw Jason Lancaster, who was speaking to a fan. I waited for him to be done with the fan before considering asking him for a picture. I asked my brother to go and ask him. He refused, so I had to go and ask him myself. I was really nervous, but Jason was really sweet and accepted to have a picture with me (he had one arm around me, one hand on my shoulder omg), then I took one of him with my brother.

Jason Lancaster and ME!

I wasn't expecting how kind and down to earth he'd be. He thanked us and told us we were awesome for wanting to take a picture with him. I don't think he knows how much of an honour it actually was for us to meet him and to have a picture with him. I've admired him for so long. It was like a dream come true to have met him.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to tell him that. I was a bit too nervous and I'm sure I would have lost my ability to speak properly. My brother did tell him that he's the awesome one though, then we thanked him and left him with other fans.

Then, I got to see Alex Gaskarth, again. He was speaking to a fan, who hadn't been able to attend the festival, on the phone. That was so sweet of him. I waited for him to be done, then asked for a picture with him. He also accepted :)

it's a bit blurry but idc!

And yeah, I didn't stay to watch Panic! They were playing last (or second to last) and I had to go work in the morning. But... yeah, it was still one of the best nights of my life. I finally got to see two of my favourite bands ever.  The night would have been perfect had my sister been with us, though. Meeting Yellowcard and Go Radio by myself seems a bit unfair because she loves them as much as I do. Ah, I just hope one day we can both go to an AVA or a blink-182 concert together.

No comments:

Post a Comment