Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Cab EP : Lady Luck Review


I've got to say that I'm a huge fan of The Cab. Alex DeLeon has one of the loveliest voices I've ever heard. He's even on my list of voices I'd marry if I could marry a voice (second to Jason Lancaster from Go Radio, ex-Mayday Parade).

I absolutely loved their first album, Whisper War. Seriously, Vegas Skies has been my alarm tone for months, and I'm still not tired of listening to the song. So, it's needless to say that I was impatiently waiting for the release of the new EP.

As soon as i saw that the whole thing was on PureVolume, I went there for a listen. However, I must admit that I was kinda disappointed. I don't know, maybe I was expecting too much??

Not that I'm saying that the EP is not good. It's just that it sounds overproduced.

Okay, let's just start from the beginning.

Take My Hand (remix) for instance. It features vocals from Cassadee Pope from Hey Monday (a great band btw). Well, though they both sing well, I prefer the original by far. Why? I don't like how they've synthesised Alex's voice in that version. I mean, why did they even do that? Alex DeLeon's voice was perfect on the original version!

I am Who I am and Diamonds are Forever are quite goods tracks though. They have the original The Cab sound which I LOVED!

I'll Run (strings) must be my biggest disappointment on this EP. I'll Run was my favourite song on Whisper War. With lyrics like "Girl you're three times the lady I'll ever have", I must admit that I just fell in love with this song the first time I heard it. Now with strings, I was definitely looking forward to something very heartfelt. But I didn't really feel any emotion in his voice. I know it's harsh but I thought that this version was rather dull.

I want to break free (Queen cover) is a really fun cover. First thing that came to my mind when I heard it was : "Aww so sweet".

Lights is the catchiest song on the EP. It was love at first sound. Seriously my favourite.

All in all, the EP is quite good. Just a little disappointed that the EP was much more heavy on the production front... Oh well...

Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment